October 4, 2012
Clark Gascoigne, +1 202 293 0740 ext. 222
Panel of Experts to Discuss the New Book and the link between Illicit Financial Flows, Corruption, Global Security
Date: October 4, 2012
Location: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace,
Choate Room, 1779 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington DC
RSVP: Send RSVPs to Patrick Benson at firstname.lastname@example.org
WASHINGTON DC – This Thursday, October 4, Global Financial Integrity will host the first official launch event for the new book, Waging War on Corruption: Inside the Movement Fighting the Abuse of Power, by Transparency International co-founder Frank Vogl.
Vogl’s book makes the case that corruption is one of the major causes of poverty in the poorest countries, of human rights abuses across the globe, of distortions in international finance and commerce and of international security. Nevertheless, in discussing both the villains and the victims of corruption, the author argues that enormous achievements have been attained, largely under civil society leadership, in the period from the fall of the Berlin Wall to the rise of the Arab Spring.
According to Global Financial Integrity, $1 trillion in illicit financial flows—the proceeds of crime, corruption, and tax evasion—leave the developing world every year. These flows constitute not only tremendous loss for the global poor, but also empower the world’s organized criminals, terrorists, and corrupt public officials.
The event will feature a panel discussion on the links between illicit financial flows, corruption, and global security. The panel will include:
- Frank Vogl, author and co-founder of Transparency International
- Raymond Baker, Director of Global Financial Integrity
- Ted Greenberg, former Chief of the Money Laundering Section, U.S. Department of Justice, and former Senior Financial Specialist of the Financial Market Integrity Unit at the World Bank
- Jean Pesme, Manager of the Financial Market Integrity service line at the World Bank, and Coordinator of the joint UNODC/World Bank Stolen Asset Recovery (StAR) Initiative
Notes to the Editors
- Download a Coupon to Purchase the Book for 40%-off the Cover Price
- Frank Vogl’s Website
- Waging War on Corruption – Additional Information
Global Financial Integrity (GFI) is a Washington, DC-based research and advocacy organization which promotes transparency in the international financial system.
For additional information please visit www.gfintegrity.org.